Ceramic braces have been around since the 1980’s, but have had improvements since then. They were once porous and had problems with staining. This has been resolved, and now they are an alternative to metal braces for those that want a look that blends more with their actual teeth.
Pros of Ceramic Braces
Having semi-translucent or tooth-colored ceramic surfaces, they can be a great choice for those who want traditional braces with less visibility.
Some patients feel they are more comfortable because they tend to irritate the gums less than metal braces.
Cons of Ceramic Braces
- They are not recommended for severe orthodontic cases.
- Unlike metal, they can chip or crack, especially if the mouth has physical trauma.
- They are larger in size then traditional metal braces, so some patients have discomfort due to their size.
- They are more costly than metal braces.
Having shared the pros and cons of ceramic braces, we revealed some of the pros and cons for metal braces, but we will list them here, as there is more to add.
Pros of Metal Braces
- Metal braces can be used for severe orthodontic cases.
- They are durable and can be used to move teeth with more pressure.
- The brackets are smaller than those of ceramic braces.
- You can introduce colorful bands, for a fun look.
- They are less costly than ceramic braces.
Cons of Metal Braces
- They are more visible than the ceramic style braces.
- Some patients find the metal more irritating.
- As the pressure can be greater than with ceramic braces, some patients feel more discomfort after adjustments.
So, for most cases the choice between ceramic and metal braces comes down to budget and aesthetics. In orthodontic cases that require more complex movement, the metal braces or Invisalign may be recommended over ceramic braces.
Dr. S. Kendall Dunn and Dr. Alex C. Schreiber treat all orthodontic cases from children to adults at their Alabama practice. With three convenient locations in Montgomery, Wetumpka, and Millbrook, the start of a perfect smile is just a few steps away.