While traditional braces and other forms of braces like clear braces and lingual braces are the most common means for straightening teeth, there is also an increasingly popular alternative: Invisalign® clear aligners. Just for Grins Orthodontics offers both treatments and is a Preferred Provider of Invisalign.
In this blog, Dr. S. Kendall Dunn and Dr. Alex Schreiber discuss the pro’s and con’s of both tooth straightening processes and provide you with some food for thought. We’re here to answer any additional questions you may have.
Invisalign® straightens your teeth without wires and brackets, using a series of clear, removable appliances called aligners that are customized for each patient. It is virtually undetectable, which means that casual observers won’t know that you’re straightening your teeth. The costs for Invisalign and traditional braces are comparable by the way. We will talk about both, but let’s start with the pro’s for Invisalign.
Pro’s for Invisalign over traditional braces
- Invisalign is clear and virtually undetectable
- They are smooth and less abrasive to your cheeks and tongue than traditional braces
- Great for active lifestyles where injuries to lips and teeth are a concern (Think contact sports)
- There are no eating restrictions (They are removed prior to eating, so no wires or braces to worry about. Sticky or hard foods are no problem.)
- There are fewer office visits as there are no adjustments to be made
- There are no extra visits to our office for pokey wires or loose braces
- It is easier to brush and floss your teeth (as once again, your Invisalign is removed prior to dental care)
Pro’s for traditional braces over Invisalign
- There isn’t anything you have to take in and out (so, although there are eating restrictions, you don’t have to remember to remove aligners or remember to put them back in)
- No aligners to keep track of (nothing to lose)
- You can have colors on your braces that you change out at each visit
- You are less responsible for the results (With Invisalign, you have to be diligent to wearing them almost 22 hours a day. With traditional braces, you don’t have a choice, and can’t get well … lazy.)
Life may be a journey, not a destination. There is a journey with jaw and tooth straightening as well, and both lead to the same destination (in this case a fantastic smile). There are two paths which lead to that smile. If you are still unsure as to the best method for yourself, do contact us for your free consultation. We have offices in Montgomery, Wetumpka, and Millbrook, AL, and our team has the same goal for everyone that sits in our chair: love your smile and feel the confidence to show it off to the world.