25% of patients at Just for Grins Orthodontics are adults. In this blog, Dr. Dunn and Dr. Schreiber review the options for adult orthodontics, traditional braces vs. Invisalign clear braces. Traditional braces come in ceramic or metal options, so we will also review some of the pros and cons on those options.
Reasons Why Adults Get Braces
Before we get to the options, let’s briefly list some of the reasons why adults are seeking orthodontic treatment. More detail on the reasons why adults get braces can be found in one of our additional blogs.
- To improve dental health
- Confidence (aesthetics)
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
- Overall health
Invisalign® straightens your teeth without wires and brackets, using a series of clear, removable appliances called aligners that are customized for each patient. It’s virtually undetectable, which means that most people won't know that you're straightening your teeth. The costs for Invisalign and traditional braces are comparable if you are looking for affordable orthodontics. Here is a list of some of the benefits or features of Invisalign. The bullets at the end of the list may be a negative for some.
- Clear and virtually undetectable
- Smooth and less abrasive to the cheeks and tongue
- Great for active lifestyles and those who play contact sports
- Fewer office visits, as no adjustments are needed
- Easier to brush and floss, as the Invisalign is removable
- No eating restrictions
- Must be worn 22 hours a day
- You will need to remove them to eat and will brush and floss before putting them back in your mouth.
- You need to care for the aligners as well (care to clean and also to not lose)
At Just for Grins Orthodontics we also offer traditional braces. As far as which treatment is better, let’s discuss some of the benefits of braces. We can say in orthodontic cases that require more complex movement, the traditional metal braces may be recommended over Invisalign.
- Align and straighten teeth that have grown in crooked
- Re-align the jaw, for healthy bone growth in children and to prevent jawbone deterioration in adults
- Prevent bone erosion by aligning incorrect bites such as underbites, overbites, and crossbites
- Correct overcrowding, which allows you to brush and floss properly. That way you’re at a lower risk for gum disease and tooth decay
- Boost self-confidence! You will smile more with straight teeth and a healthy smile
We understand that adults have a lot to consider when choosing to align their smile and bite. We can help you to understand your options and also your insurance options. Dr. S. Kendall Dunn and Dr. Alex C. Schreiber treat all orthodontic cases from children to adults. With three convenient locations in Montgomery, Wetumpka, and Millbrook, the start of a perfect smile is just a few steps away.